This high gothic castle was founded in 1348 by Czech King and Roman Emperor Charles IV as a place for safekeeping of the royal treasures, especially Charles's collection of holy relics and the coronation jewels of the Roman Empire. At the outbreak of the Husite wars the castle became the place for safekeeping of the Czech coronation jewels, which were kept here, with the exception of several short time breaks, for nearly 200 years. The castle was reconstructed in late gothic style after 1480 and in renaissance style in the last quarter of the 16th century. The present appearance of the castle comes from the last reconstruction, which was carried out, in the purist neo-gothic style by architect Josef Mocker at the end of the 19th century.
See our tour Karlštejn Castle for a visit.